[Dailydrool] Introducing a cat

Ann Hefner anniebh at acsol.net
Fri Dec 26 09:59:15 PST 2008

Someone asked about this a couple of months ago and this is what I suggested.  I would like feedback to know if it worked.  Anyway, the dogs will chase the cat if it runs.  The cat has to learn not to run. What I have done with my last 3 cats is to put it in a small carrier in the room where I am working (most likely the kitchen).  Put it up high where it can watch what you are doing and watch the dogs.  It will learn your routine.  Next, put the carrier on the floor so they can sniff each other.  If this goes well, then put the cat in a small room like a bathroom not in the carrier, then bring one dog at a time in.  Hold on to its collar so they can sniff each other; if this goes well, let go of the dog's collar.  Repeat process in larger room until they are comfortable with each other.  At bed time, the dogs usually claim their spot on the bed first, then the cats pile in on top of the dogs and we squeeze in to whatever space is left.  They will get along fine.  Ann