[Dailydrool] Kenneling Bassets

Kay, Nancy K *HS NKK3U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Sat Dec 27 13:03:22 PST 2008

Denise,

Our Frank and Sarah do fine at the kennel.  We use three different ones, depending on which way we're leaving the area, and all are fine.  We prefer leaving them in a kennel because we know they'll be safe and cared-for.

We used to have house-sitters, before we got Sarah.  She's afraid of all people except us, so it would be impossible for someone she didn't know intimately to take care of her.  One time my mother-in-law came over to let her out at lunch time, and could NOT get Sarah to come back in.  She tried leaving the door open and hiding out of sight, dropping liver treats in a trail to the door, calling sweetly, calling sternly...nothing worked. I finally had to drive home from work to get her back in the house.  So, we've always left her in the kennel when we've gone out of town.

One or both of them is usually a bit hoarse from barking while they're there -- that goes away in a day or two.  Sarah takes arthritis medicine every morning, and all the kennels handle that just fine. We always take their usual food with them so they're not switching diets all around.

I think they don't mind the kennel partly because they have their own run -- it becomes their safe den while they're in there.  One of the places we use has "play-time", which is 15-minute sessions with a person, playing ball, getting bellyrubs, whatever.  We get play-time for Frank twice a day, but none for Sarah because it just stresses her.  They are always happy to see us when we pick them up, and, too, they always walk right in the kennel when we go back the next time.  I know if they ever had a bad experience, we'd be able to tell.

Any reputable kennel has seen thousands of dogs thousands of times, and they know how to treat them and how to be sure everything is ok.  We never worry, and (sorry, Frank and Sarah), we refuse to stay home all the time just because we have a dog or two.

Nancy, owned by Sweet Sarah and Frank the Tank
Central Virginia

Original Post: "I am wondering if anyone has advice on putting a basset in a kennel for
a couple of days. Usually we have  family member stay in the home but
that won't be possible this year. So we are thinking of leaving our
hound at a reputable kennel for three days/two nights. Do bassets
usually tolerate this well? I am worried that she will be nervous. She's
a real lover to people but does not like other dogs to approach her.
Fine when walking near other leashed dogs. Is a kennel too much for a
dog of this temperament?
Thanks!
Denise
Oh, she's about 4 yrs old and from a rescue."