[Dailydrool] BUVs and restraining dogs

Heather Lessely heather.lessely at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 10:46:47 PST 2008

I've read all the posts about BUVs and wanted to share - I have a Mazda 6 wagon with a "dog" net that I can put either in the back or if I fold the seats down, across the area right behind the back seat. Probert the boxer and Wendell HATE being crated, they actually have hurt their paws trying to get out. And if they're not crated, Bailey cries and squeals if she is. I have also tried seatbelts on them and it was a scary disaster. If I have all of them in the car, they snarl and fight if they are belted. SO - though I'd like to have them safely crated, I have to settle for the next best thing. I keep the net up and they can't get through to the front and they lay nicely (eventually) in the back.

Prior to the Mazda, I had a Taurus wagon and used the steel divider to keep them in the back of the wagon. As some of you may remember, I moved to California with Bailey and Wendell and we had a bad accident about an hour from our new home before we even got there. I ended up in the hospital (I was turned around in the passenger seat trying to get something when the crash happened and hit my back on the airbag..... not a good idea) and I saw Bailey and Wendell hit the metal barrier. If that hadn't been there, they would have flown and hit the windshield. Fortunately, neither of them was hurt more than some bumps and bruises, but it was all because I secured everything else that was with them and had that barrier up. So, though I would love to get them to ride in crates, I never ever ever put them in the car without their net up - they don't ride in front or on the seats, always in the back of the car.

BTW, we love our Mazda and its great for the dogs because its low to the ground, but we are seriously eyeing a new Ford Flex with the fold down seats - now I think THAT would be a great BUV

Heather
Pw. Wendell W. Bottom, OEBE Viceroy, Bailey Mackenzie OEBE Evil Enchantress, Probert BABES Pugilist