[Dailydrool] Merlin

Linda H dirtherm2 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 23 14:52:36 PDT 2008

The pain is so intense. Merlin is everywhere in this house. But not. How can that be? How can my beautiful baby be gone? My God, I hated to leave him there. I layed down next to him, and just stroked the soft fur on his belly. So soft. Absorbed the tears so well.

I was taking down his extensive wardrobe for laundering. How many dogs have so many harnesses and collars and leashes? And his winter coat. I was tossing his stuffed toys in the washer. But kept back the basset one. Tri-color, just like Merlin. It smelled of Merlin, who always grabbed a stuffed toy to bring to us when he wanted to go outside. He preferred the really soft, squishy, ones. The green frog head, the yellow duck, the basset.

Merlin was special. He was a social butterfly. He was my almost constant companion. He was part of me. He is gone. Merlin was dehydrated, and the vet had a really tough time getting a vein in those gnarly legs. It was brutal. But, at the end, it was very peaceful. Gentle.

It has been raining this afternoon. Thunderstorms. Small hail. Suits my mood perfectly.

Merlin is gone. I cry and cry. My eyes hurt.

Many of you have been at this spot. You understand. I hurt so badly.

Linda and no Merlin