[Dailydrool] How did you get attracted to the basset hound breed?

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 13:13:51 PDT 2008

I've been wondering how other droolers became attracted to the basset hound breed.  I knew no bassets growing up.  I think my only familiarity with bassets was from Hush Puppy ads.  For years and years, my husband and I were Scottish terrier people. When the scottie that grew up with our kids passed away at age 14, my husband said he didn't think he could take loving any more dogs--let's try a cat.  And so that is how our now 10 year old cat, Lynx, came to live with us. When we moved to Hawaii, Lynx of course came with us. This was back in the day of the 120 day quarantine, so Lynx had to spend 4 months in the slammer. We visited him every day.  Directly across from the cat barracks were the dog barracks. And in the private cell run across from Lynx's enclosed yard was a basset-springer spaniel mix, Fred.  We fell in love with Fred and visited him every day too.  My husband changed his mind on the dog issue, so we looked up the question on
 the Internet, "What breeds of dog usually get along with cats?" (Scotties are not noted for this trait, nor are there any available here).  The Internet recommended basset hounds or beagles.  We tried to find a Basset Rescue, but there were none on the island. However, that very day there was an ad in the Classified section of the newspaper that a military family who was deploying needed to find a new home for their basset, and Beauregard (Bo) came to live with us that day. And then, a basset is like a potato chip, of course...so Harley came next. Lynx does not particularly care for either of them, by the way, but tolerates them. Bo and Harley would love to be better friends with Lynx, but Lynx draws the line before actual friendship. Now it is hard for me to imagine having any other breed than bassets.