[Dailydrool] How did you get attracted to the basset hound breed?

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Tue Jul 1 16:09:23 PDT 2008

I wish I had more available.. and will get them up when I can find the
rest.. but ....in pictures... this is how I was introduced to bassets...
http://picasaweb.google.com/TreborG2/Dad

BHCM - Basset Hound Club of Maryland, my father, hounds galore, and my
father's artwork (cartoon of two hounds) plus others he'd penned (the
caricature one was done by a friend) ... one of my father's other really
good drawings was "Three Dog Night"

I was born into a basset clan .. father & mother raising bassets for about 6
years before I touched ground, and for a total of about 18 years, but
unfortunately having to relocate for work, caused us to leave the field
trials and the farm... from 18 show hounds to 3 family hounds.

That was 1962 to 1979, our last from the family pack passed in 84, after my
single term in the military returning home and being given a puppy for
christmas (yup one of "those") and he was with me for 14 years 6 months and
19 days before I had to make the hardest decision in my life...

Enter BROOD and Riley, the first of my adopted pack in August 2004, add the
salt & pepper of Franklin to that mix in 2005, and then add my permanent
foster Henry (nut-ball prime) in 2007.  See July 19th of the current Drool
Calendar (those of you that have them), or my well worn "The Boys - aka -
Tres Amigos"
http://picasaweb.google.com/TreborG2/TheBoys/

There has never been another breed of dog for me.. their smell, their
attitudes, their insanities, their ups, and ups even more... their calm
before,  after, and MAYBE through the storm..

I love being able to rub on their sides and have two or more feet of dog
there to put my hands through... I love the gigantic paws, the ears that can
reach past the tips of their noses.. and the extra long reach of the ears'
when family members (my nephew mostly) get close enough to do snooter kisses
and get <WHACKED> in the face by a flying ear under my control..

I love their voices.. the way they sing, the way they bay.. I can't think of
any one thing you could take away from a basset that would make it any
better... and loosing any one of their traits would make them so much less
of a hound to me..

No other breed.  I love dogs.. don't get me wrong .. but those others...
they're 'dogs' .... the Basset ... thems is hound...

-Robert

  _____