[Dailydrool] Dog Parks

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 04:54:52 PDT 2008

I don't go to the Dog Park anymore. I used to. Mitchell LOVED it. Mr.
Mellow, he pretty much stayed to himself and would trot around, following
Cooper. Cooper ran like a madman. Flat out. Chasing, being chased, herding,
being herded--- he adored it.
Until the hormones hit.
(Both boys were intact. Both were being shown.)

The second time I caught Cooper posturing at the same proud, no-nonsense,
Alpha male Siberian Husky was the last time we went to the Park. Probably he
could go now, having been neutered and having some age and experience on
him, but then he was a hotshot, John Wayne kid, full of testosterone, taking
his guns to town. Just a bad place to be, a dog park, with those conditions.

I haven't been back with Nigel or Llewis, sadly, because since then there
have been a number of serious fights at the Park, with severe injuries to
several dogs and a couple of owners who tried to break it up.
There has been an increase in the number of Pits at the dog park, a breed I
simply do not trust with other dogs. (Don't bother defending them, please:
you won't change my mind.)

I don't know how other places handle these issues or whether it is even an
issue at other parks. It's too bad. Llewis would love it. Nigel could hide.
(Zelda would NEVER have liked the dog park!!!) Mitchell could sit in the
shade and watch.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Mitchell, Zelda and Cooper