[Dailydrool] Dog parks

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sun Jul 6 14:34:51 PDT 2008

We're lucky enough to have three dog parks here in Nashville, TN. The
way Metro Parks and Recreation Department handles pitbulls in the dog
parks is to post signs at all the gates saying that all pitbulls and
dogs with pitbull physical characteristics are not allowed in the
parks. The parks police don't actually police the dog parks. In fact,
I've never seen them stopping by a dog park to check things out or be
a presence. The dog parks end up being self-policing, which sometimes
works and sometimes doesn't.

Every so often someone will come in with a pitbull mix, but every
time I've been there and it's happened the dog has been well-
socialized and its human is on top of things. It's been several years
since I've seen a young thug bringing in his pitbull street cred. The
last time it happened while I was there, the guy didn't stay but a
few minutes. Just long enough to make the point that he's big, he's
bad, and he's got no control over his dog. Fortunately the dog's
visit was uneventful.

The signs on the gates also say no unsupervised children. Funny how
there seem to be fewer instances of pitbulls/pitbull mixes than there
are instances of unsupervised children, at least when I'm at the dog
park. Even more bothersome to me than the lone children are the
parents who bring their children to the dog park as if it's some kind
of petting zoo. They clearly have no clue that canine social dynamics
are happening and constantly changing all around them. A dog park is
really no place for an infant in a carrier or a wobbly toddler to be.
Of course if something happens to a child in a dog park, it'll always
be the dog owner's fault and not the parent's for using incredibly
poor judgment.

What really gets me is the fool who periodically brings his two small
children to the dog park I use, and all three of them are on
rollerblades. Then he sits the kids down on a bench and lets them eat
snacks. There's a reason the dog park rules posted by the front gate
say "no food." All this situation needs is one dog with food
aggression issues. Or our Elsinore and her ability to gently but
effectively take a child's treat from her hand by easing her way up
the child's body, stepping on the child's shoulders, if need be, to
reach her hand with the treat held high. The last time this happened,
I put Elsinore on her leash and we waited while that child ate her
snack. I swear the kid deliberately ate more and more slowly. It was
very unfair to Elsinore who was, after all, in her park and not on
the child's playground. I've decided that the next time it happens,
I'm going to tell the father that he's endangering his children by
allowing them to eat around the dogs and they really should leave the
dog park until they've finished their snacks.

Elizabeth