[Dailydrool] Advice on Quicks?

rebecca lando rebecca.lando at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 08:25:55 PDT 2008

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice for me. Humphrey has excessively
long quicks. His dewclaws are always slightly curled in and his nails click
on the ground even when there's hardly any actual white nail present. We've
been getting his nails trimmed once a month, because they grow pretty
slowly, but I was told that cutting his nails down often - even when there's
just a tiny bit of nail present - can make the quicks recede. I'm intrigued,
but very wary to try this, since his quicks are so overwhelming. We bought a
file, but it was worthless - after 15 minutes of sawing at one toenail, I'd
only succeeded in giving it a slight shaping, but not actually reducing it
at all. Will the quicks really recede if we regularly trim his nails back?
Or is this just a myth? If it's true, what tool do you recommend? We're
talking about regularly trimming down MILLIMETERS of nail growth, not even
centimeters, so I need a tool that can be very exact and precise and, most
importantly, safe.

Thanks, and Drool to all,

Rebecca & Humphrey