[Dailydrool] feeding issues and, for the love of cheese

Katharine Gillen miss.lottie at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 13 12:08:08 PDT 2008

We also have some slow eaters and some quick eaters.  I do gate my oldest male (king of household) in the living room while the others all eat in the kitchen.  I have to stand over them while they eat.  Just my presence there is enough.  I don't have to hold anyone back, but those who finish first just sit and wait until the others eat.  I also tether my 2 year old basset (the other 4 bassets are all seniors) while eating just so he knows to behave, which he is very good about.I also agree, however, that it could be that your basset is looking (or hoping) for something he wants on his food.  In the morning, I chop of Dick van Patten food roll and sprinkle it over their Merrick dry food.  In the evening, I sprinkle some shredded cheese on top.One night I had run out of shredded cheese so I grated some $18.99/lb Parmesan Reggiano over their food and they loved that (gotta love that "reggie").  Anyway, you should have seen the looks I got the next evening when they were forced to enjoy just regular old shredded cheddar on their dinner!Kate, slave to Rocket Man, Hubert, Miss Lottie, Miss Greta, and Puck the incorrigible younster.