[Dailydrool] Not all rescues the same.

rescue at wabr.net rescue at wabr.net
Mon Jul 14 14:01:01 PDT 2008

Washington Basset Rescue has it's own  501(c)(3), and all rescues are S/N, given required immunizations, vet checked (all medical problems take care of - dental, cyst, ortho, etc) and micro chipped. Plus the bassets are in my home so I can evaluate their temperament.

But in the Seattle area is Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue.  They should be called Referral, not Rescue. Here is what their website says.

Why do people list their purebreds with SPDR?

 Owners give up their dogs for many reasons. Some of the most common are divorce, moving, allergies, and "not enough time for the dog". Many people don't realize until it's too late that a dog needs a great deal of time and attention. Also, many people do not do their research well enough before choosing a breed, and end up with a dog that does not fit their lifestyle. Owners need to realize that placing a dog through SPDR is not the same kind of instant "solution" as dropping the dog off at the shelter. They should expect to spend some time working with the breed reps to find the best possible homes for their dogs. Sometimes a home is found in days, other times it could take a month or more. Some dogs cannot be placed.

What about purebreds from shelters?

SPDR also works with 18 Puget Sound area shelters, including the Humane Society of Seattle/King County in Bellevue, King County Animal Control, and PAWS. The shelter may notify SPDR when it receives a purebred, or SPDR volunteers may visit the shelter and report all purebreds. Breed reps refer applicants to a shelter if they know of a dog that fits the applicant's description. The adopter will still be required to fill out all adoption paperwork for that shelter, and may be refused by the shelter for adoption. We have no control over shelter adoption procedures, we simply act as a referral. Most area shelters can only keep dogs from 24 to 72 hours before they are euthanized. If you are notified of a dog in a shelter, you should respond promptly.