[Dailydrool] need help- 10.5 yr old basset keeps chewing thru fence- and vinyl windows.

christine covie aka bassettmom@comcast.net bassettmom at comcast.net
Mon Jul 14 20:31:04 PDT 2008

I sure need some advice. I have a 10.5 yr old adopted basset ( Niles) that I have had since he is five. He recently- for no apparent reason ( no firecrackers, thunder, etc) CHEWS thru the wooden fence and escapes. Today he chewed thru $200.00 of lumber I patched the fence with. The fence is not new - but has held him quite well until now- with few escape attempts. The fence will be replaced

Recent significant events include the addition of a new adopted brother (hercules- at 5-6 yrs old) and the loss of his 2 favorite brothers - Roscoe and Clarence- within 4 months. Niles has had some separation anxiety but it mostly ebbs to nothing.

Niles also chews thru window sills to include the vinyl piece that you pull the window sill open with.

The only time I get some peace is when I drug him - whci I refuse to continue to do. And I do crate him, but he really hates the crate.

he is fine when I am here- but turns into destructo dog when I leave for work, the store, etc.

Any suggestions? Will a chain link fence hold him. I contemplated a vinyl fence replacement - but he ate the vinyl windows.

please contact me off line with any experience /suggestions you may have.

christine mom to Niles and Hercules aka da menz of colorado.