[Dailydrool] greiving animals

Bonnie Garner parrothead at ripleycable.net
Tue Jul 15 15:22:01 PDT 2008

When my mother was dying, she was at home on hospice care.  We stayed with her around the clock.  So did her two furbaby companions.  They rarely left her bed during the last weeks except to eat and do their business (usually in the house).

On the morning of her death, we all knew that the time was near.  Her breathing was shallow.  A couple of times we thought she was gone, then she would take a shallow breath.  The dogs continued to lay by her side.

Then, all of a sudden, both dogs slowly got off the bed and went through the pet door and outside the house.  That's when I knew for certain she was gone.  They both stayed outside until the coroner came and pronounced her dead, and the funeral home came and took her body away.  After that they did come back in but never got on that bed again.

It has always amazed me that they knew the exact instant when there was no more life, and they knew they could then leave her side, go outside, and watch her spirit leave also.

We've never let ours watch another one's death, but we have allowed them to be present at the burial.

They know and understand far more than we do about these things.

Bonnie
Slave to Stanley, Beachbaby, Lowretta, Stella (ATB), J.D. (ATB), Begonia (ATB)