[Dailydrool] sniffing a departed beloved one

Linda ldianis at comcast.net
Tue Jul 15 15:51:52 PDT 2008

Catching up on drools, but want to report our own experience in this
area. Long ago, when our kitty Sarah died, our kitty Zooker and basset
Kezzy was distraught at her disappearance, and Zooker definitely
mourned; Kezzy was subdued. When Zooker died, we brought him home for
burial and Kezzy came up and sniffed the open box we carried his body
in. After some sniffing, she went away and slouched in her usual corner,
but was not depressed.
A few years ago, Katy the Kitty died. We brought her home, same process;
Kezzy and Ollie the kitty both sniffed, sniffed, and were seemingly
satisfied. About 2 weeks later, when Kezzy died and we brought her home
for burial also, Ollie sniffed and looked up at us with a long wail of a
meow.
They know.
I think it is helpful.
Linda, with Otis and Nelly, and still, Ollie, who is almost 17 now