[Dailydrool] bad news

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 16:12:12 PDT 2008

Hello everyone,
I received some pretty bad news on our youngest basset, Mazzie, today. She
will be 5 on August 17th.  Last March we discovered she is fused from her
L5-L7.  She has been losing her urine more, having trouble defecating, and
vomiting sometimes. I had a chem screen done and it showed all was fine
except sodium was a little low.  The vet tested her legs and she is
completely numb in the area because he bent her legs out really far and
bounced and nothing. Then, I asked for another x ray.  He came out telling
me he has very bad news.  She is now fused L1 through L7 and possibly higher
then her L1 because he didn't x ray up higher. I compared the x rays and it
doesn't take a genious to see it.

He said she defies the facts and she should not be able to walk.  He said
the next progression is going to be losing her bladder all the time, losing
her bowels and then losing the ability to walk or move.  There is nothing we
can do except treat the symptoms. She is on a very expensive med that starts
with a z that is an antibiotic because she will most likely have a bladder
infection alot because the urine goes out, but not all the way. He said it
could be soon or it could be a few years, but I told him not to let me let
her go on after the losing of the bowels start.  That is just no way for her
to live.  My 11 year old daughter is very upset.  She doesn't want to
euthanize her.  My husband was crying on IM (he is in Iraq) and begged me
not to do anything until after he gets home. The option of surgery is $6 G's
and up and there are no guarantees, even at Cornell.  It is just from her
bad DNA he says because of her leg that is bowed out and bent and her back.
There is nothing we could have done to prevent it.  We don't allow her to go
upstairs, etc. and know how important back safety is. Mazzie came to live
with us at the age of 2 in Sept. of 05.

 Anyhow, long story short, my question is do any of you have any instances
that they have heard of a dog fused from at least L1 and down living like
that for life or any other info?  We are not planning on euthanization just
because it will happen in the future.  She is still enjoying her food, her
toys, her humans and her siblings.  She can still walk, run, jump, etc.  Her
quality of life is good right now, but when it declines we will let her go
in dignity to the other side.

DRool to all in need
(still 25 drools behind),
Dee, Maggie, Mazzie and Oliver