[Dailydrool] Question about legs

DEBBIE.WYNN at comcast.net DEBBIE.WYNN at comcast.net
Wed Jul 16 16:12:40 PDT 2008

I have a question about basset front legs.  Rosie's left leg and foot turn noticeably to the side (enough that the nails on that foot have uneven wear), and I have always thought this would be the one that would cause her trouble.  However the vet says it is the other straighter leg that has arthritis in it.

I give her Dasuquin and good quality food but worry about her front legs.  Oddly enough I worry more about the one that turns out than I do about the one the vet told me has a problem - maybe this is denial on my part.  When I asked the vet he shrugged his shoulders and had a strange sort of smile on his face, then he said "well, those basset legs are just different", then he gave me a little talk on dwarf breeds.

Is it normal for a basset leg/foot to turn to the side?   And is it abnormal for a basset leg to be straight?

Anything better than Dasuquin that she could be taking?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Debbie & Rosie