[Dailydrool] If it weren't for the Daily Drool. . .

Kay, Nancy K *HS NKK3U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Wed Jul 16 16:52:59 PDT 2008

If it weren't for the Daily Drool:

1.  We wouldn't have Sweet Sarah.  We had lost a 14-month-old Basset girl, Cleo (to either lawn chemicals or bad breeding, probably both), and we were heart-broken.  That was in 1996, shortly after we had first discovered the "internet", and I stumbled across the Basset Olympics, which led me to the Basset-l, which led me to the Daily Drool.  Harry Chipman put me in touch with a local breeder here in Virginia who had an older pup who didn't turn out to be "show-quality".  So, Sarah moved in with us at age 5 months.  12 years ago.

2.  We wouldn't have Frank the Tank.  We had lost our darling lab/English Setter mix, Becky (to old age and heart failure), and since we were used to having two dogs, we were thinking about a 2nd basset.  Through the Drool, I had made contact with the president of BROOD at the time, since she retired to our area from Washington DC.  We had lunch and shared stories, and she started her breeding program, which was her dream after her retirement.  Her first litter consisted of two boys, one of whom is Frank. He has wide shoulders and an underbite, both of which would disqualify him in the show ring.  I sort of hinted that we were in the market for a second dog, and she asked if we'd like to buy Frank.  She knew of our love for bassets, and she knew we'd give him a wonderful home.  We weren't sure we really wanted a puppy-puppy, but as you know, the rest is history.  4 years ago.

3.  We wouldn't have discovered the Blue Power ear treatment.  Not only do Frank and Sarah have clean, non-itchy ears, so do our daughter's pit/hound mixes, and my mother-in-law's cocker spaniel.

4.  We wouldn't be buying baby carrots with every trip to the grocery.  Frank knocked a carrot under the fridge tonight, and we can't reach it, and he's been snuffling under there relentlessly.  I guess we'll end up moving the fridge out from the wall, a monumental undertaking!!

5.  I wouldn't be spending 30 minutes telling these stories and typing this email.

6.  I wouldn't be sending holiday cards to 300 dogs (!) we've never met...LOL!!  Who sends cards to dogs, anyway ??

7.  We probably wouldn't have bought a Honda Element for our next car.  But we did, it's great, and I read recently that "It's hip to be square" car-wise!  It's also much easier to get F+S in and out of the vehicle than it was with the Jeep Liberty we had before.

8.  I wouldn't have made YouTube videos starring Frank and Sarah -- they have been viewed over 11,000 times !

There's much more, but I gotta go get some work done!!!

Nancy, owned by Sweet Sarah and Frank the Tank
Keswick, VA