[Dailydrool] Why not teach your dog to trade?

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Thu Jul 17 13:57:12 PDT 2008

Young Charlie knows all about trading. If he's not getting enough
attention, he'll go looking for something to trade with me for a
treat. This morning it was a container of dental floss.

Sometimes if he wants more than one treat, he'll immediately go off
and find something else he knows he shouldn't have and bring it to me
for another treat. This is incentive for me to keep things picked up
and out of his reach, because young Charlie could happily trade all
day with me

Most of the time he's so delighted to see my willingness to trade
with him that he'll drop whatever it is he has about halfway to me so
he can run the rest of the way to get what I have. Charlie's a good
little trader!

Elizabeth