[Dailydrool] Blue Power Ear Treatment Question

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Sat Jul 19 03:01:10 PDT 2008

I am surprised the vet would openly admit they don't know the purpose of the
gentian violet ... and not follow up with "I need to look that up"

gentian violet is an anti-fungal...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentian_violet

Gentian violet ( <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_violet> crystal
violet, Methyl Violet 10B, hexamethyl
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pararosaniline> pararosaniline chloride) is an
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifungal_drug> antifungal agent, the primary
agent used in the  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gram_staining> Gram stain
test, perhaps the single most important bacterial identification test in use
today, and it is also used by hospitals for the treatment of serious heat
burns and other injuries to the skin and gums. Typically prepared as a weak
(e.g. 1%) solution in water, it is painted on skin or gums to treat or
prevent  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycosis> fungal infections. Gentian
violet does not require a doctor's prescription (in the US), but is not
easily found in drug stores.

-Robert

  _____