[Dailydrool] protein content and weight loss

Marilyn Bickell mbickellhounds at comcast.net
Sat Jul 19 08:22:05 PDT 2008

>>> From: Valerie and John Epps <eppsval26 at yahoo.com>

... I switched Penny to the Wellness reduced calorie version because she's
overweight.  I have been feeding her that for a few months only to find that
she gained 3 more pounds! ... maybe the high protein is contributing to
Penny's weight gain?...<<<

Valerie,
It's not protein that's the problem; it's the carbohydrates. But first I
need to say that I am not one of "those" people who think all carbs are
evil!

That said, if Penny is being fed more carbs than she needs or can utilize,
those extra carbs will get stored in the body as fat. Carbs are great for
energy, but not so good for weight loss. You could switch her back to the
regular Wellness and just cut back on the amount you feed. That's what I've
always done.
Also, you might take a look at the ingredients in the Wellness Weight Loss
kibble (I haven't), and see what kind of carbs are in it. Are they simple
carbs or complex? Complex carbs are used much better and faster than simple
carbs. Basically, simple carbs just turn to sugar in the body. But not good
sugar like Mars Milky Way Midnight Dark chocolate bars ;o)

Marilyn, Miko (Chasing lizards in Heaven), Bess, RoseyMae, and Beaver
Cleaver,
Fort Bragg, CA

"You have gone ahead and nothing is the same, leaving paw prints on my heart
that will always remain."- Tibetan Proverb from Prayers on the Wind.