[Dailydrool] Fearful Basset

Alison Becker ambecker10 at msn.com
Sat Jul 19 20:18:26 PDT 2008

My foster, Max, was just like this when we first got him.  He hid in the library.  If he came upstairs, he would stay in the bedroom while we were in the tv room.  It was heartbreaking.  I can't say we did anything special, other than just letting him figure things out for himself.  We did add a second foster and that helped.  He learned to play, but he was still tentative.  In the year that I have known him (all but 4 months have been living with me), he's changed so much.  I can't take any credit.  I just let Max be Max and he figured it out.

Mostly now I just know there are certain ways we are going to do things. And, we ALWAYS make a big deal out of the smallest achievement.  For example, when it is nice outside, I leave the door to the screened in porch open so that the dogs and cats can go out there and chill out.  Well, Max never wanted to go out there, even if we were all out there.  A few weeks in to the season, he took his first tentative steps out there and checked the place out.  I sat on the sofa holding my breath pretending I could care less about it until he came in the house and then I went crazy telling him how awesome he was.  Something that most dogs would do without thinking became a huge milestone for Max.  He goes out there all the time now. . .if it is cool enough for the doors to be open!  It is only been recently that he will walk around the house on his own and follow me from the upstairs to the downstairs.  We had him from June-November and then he came back in March. So, this has been months.

So, I just recommend being patient and being happy for every victory no matter how small.  I find that Max is more likely to trust other dogs than to trust people.  So, when people come over, I make sure his crate is open and ready for him (he LOVES his crate) and make sure the people understand his special needs.  He's started coming out more when people are here (as long as they do not sit in his spot on the sofa).  I have also found that routine is very important to Max.  He likes to know what to expect.

I love Max so much more because of his challenges and that he is trying his best to overcome them.  Good luck and hang in there.  Give it some time and you will be very richly rewarded!   Alison