[Dailydrool] Fearful Basset

Connie Moen two.bassets at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 17:47:51 PDT 2008

We adopted Alice (atb) when she was 5 years old, she was a 'shy dog' - very
fearful of people, she loved other dogs.  Her owner had died of a heart
attack and she was alone with him for 36 hours before they found him.  She
never left his side the entire time.  They had to kick down the door which
traumatized her more than she already was.  When we picked her up she shook
so hard her teeth rattled.  When we let her outside she would head to the
far end of the yard and sit under the trees and watch us - for several weeks
we had to crawl under the trees to get her and bring her in the house.  She
finally, after about 2 months, accepted us and enjoyed being around us but
she never got over her fear of other people - she was always nervous around
them.

When we adopted Ernie (atb) she was so happy, she really was comfortable
around other dogs and when he would approach a stranger she would
tentatively follow his lead but she was always a little skittish.

So all we could recommend is taking it one step at a time - if Bellatrix is
a true 'shy dog' she will never completely overcome her fear of other
people.  But with assurances from you she will become less fearful (no
shaking, teeth rattling or panic hiding).

Connie & Roger and the Bassets, Miss Molly of Vegas, Hank the Tank, Ernie
(atb), Alice (atb), Cleo (atb) and Duchess (atb)