[Dailydrool] Dog Food

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 07:23:19 PDT 2008

I know there's been a lot of discussion of different dog food recently. I've
had Joey on a whole bunch of different ones since I got him. His foster
momma said she put him on Royal Canin at the suggestion of her neighbor, who
was a dog nutritionist. He did relatively well on that; we used the large
breed, and later the large breed weight control. But, I went and started
researching afterwards, and switched over to Canidea. About that time, I had
Joey in obedience classes, and they spent one evening talking about dog
nutrition, and how you want to see the meat (chicken, beef, venison,
whatever) listed, and that it's a bit better than "meat meal," which was
what Canidea used, so I went hunting again, and this time found Merrick.
This has been our "old reliable" for almost a year now. I used Evo for one
bag, but it was too strong and he had diarreha the whole time, and I used
some of the Hundeflocken (adult formula, we got Checkers the puppy formula
when dad first adopted him) for a little while, as when Joey was "extra
fluffy," the folks at the natural dog food store suggested to use it, as
it's higher in protein, and lower in fat. Well, he wasn't too keen on it,
and back to Merrick we went, just less from cans, as it has a higher fat
content, and was helping cause the "fluffiness." (Though, Joey mantains
Brats 'n tots didn't make him fluffy... he likes the sausages!!) Now, we
heard that Merrick makes a product called BG, for Before Grain. It's all
natural, made in the USA, etc. I did some research on it, and it looks to be
pretty good! The cans are pretty much meat and water, and the dry is meat &
veggies that have been extruded, I believe. It's also easier on the tummy
than the Evo. (Joey says he doesn't recomend the tripe!) I've been giving
this to Joey for about 2 months now, and he's regrown hair!! Yes, seriously,
he's regrown hair in his gray spots! Not completely, but when he came into
rescue he had no fur at all on his gray spots, they got him to regrow a
little, but since we've switched, we've seen a drastic improvement in hair
growth & texture. Also, he just seems more "up," in temperment, and we think
that the food, and the suplaments have been doing him a world of good. (He
also gets "pet vites," glucosamine, fiber & flax seed oil once a day). So
far, it's working for us, and I'm sold on the product! It's a bit more
expensive than Benneful, or the store brands, but on par with the cost of
other Merrick bags, and Canidea, etc. So, it's decently afordable, and a
little goes a long way! (For warning if you try it, the Salmon flavor smells
a lot, and in the wet food, the Salmon & the Tripe will more than clear out
a room! Especially if your basset is prone to gas issues; it's even WORSE on
the way out!)
-Karrie, momma to Joey (I still want my Brats 'n tots!), aunty to Checkers
(I'll eat anything!) & Crispin (big puddle of drool thinking about the
food!)