[Dailydrool] Dog Food/Karrie

Marilyn Bickell mbickellhounds at comcast.net
Mon Jul 21 10:57:50 PDT 2008

>>>From: "Karrie Kuecker" <wandereroftheworld at gmail.com>

... and that it's a bit better than "meat meal,"...<<<

"Meal" is actually an ok ingredient, but if "meat meal" was listed I would
want to know which meat was used. Showing "meat" in ingredients is just too
generic for me. In making the protein into "meal," the protein has been
reduced in size by rendering, grinding and removing the moisture. Then the
fat that was removed during the rendering process is replaced with whatever
fat the kibble company chooses to use.

>>>... I used Evo for one bag, but it was too strong and he had diarreha the
whole time,...<<<

Yes, I also fed EVO for a while. The hounds didn't have diarrhea, but their
stools were definitely softer, so I tried the Low Fat EVO which was much
better. But I did end up not feeding it at all.

>>>... and back to Merrick we went,..<<<

Merrick is a very decent company and puts out very decent foods. Hopefully
they won't get so big that they have to resort to larger, questionable,
manufacturing sources.
You also mentioned feeding Merrick's Before Grain. I have been looking at
that, on and off for the past few months, but not sure yet if I want to feed
it. My hounds do so well on California Natural Lamb and Rice, I hate to rock
the boat by introducing another kibble. AND Beaver needs to eat a low fat
diet because of his Colitis.

>>>... (Though, Joey mantains Brats 'n tots didn't make him fluffy... he
likes the sausages!!) ...<<<

The only canned I will feed is Merrick and/or Evanger's. Yes, my hounds give
Merrick's Brats 'n Tots 12 paws up! But they also like Merrick's Campfire
Trout. Heck, they like all Merrick's canned.

>>>...  (Joey says he doesn't recomend the tripe!)...<<<

LOL!! Mine LOVE raw green tripe! Not so much the canned, but they have
happy-fits when I'm scooping the raw into their bowls. Rosey actually waits
in the laundry, door open, bouncing up and down with joy on Tripe days. Bess
just sits real close *screaming* at me. Beaver waddles back and forth from
the kitchen to the living room, talking and mumbling. And he does the weave
poles faster on Tripe days! He has to weave for his meals ~~ mean mama ~~
but the only time he picks up speed is when he knows he's being offered
tripe as a reward.

Something you might want to consider, if you're going to feed canned Tripe,
is the canning process removes the beneficial enzymes of the tripe, so
there's actually no benefits to feeding canned. Although, I hear most dogs
like it and can be used to feed picky eaters to encourage them to eat.

>>>...  (He also gets "pet vites," ...<<<

Kibbles are complete as is, so you really don't need the extra vitamins.

 >>>...(For warning if you try it ... the Salmon & the Tripe will more than
clear out a room!...<<<

Canned tripe isn't as fragrant as fresh green tripe ~~ OMG! I have only 5lbs
of fresh tripe left in my freezer, and I need to thaw it just enough so I
can cut it up to repackage into feeding size portions, but I dread doing it!
Phew! It's almost gagish. So I suppose it will sit in the freezer a while
longer. I figured after feeding it for 3+ years, I would eventually get used
to the smell ... just can't do it. But I think the strong smell is why the
dogs love it so much. I bought the tripe/gullet/trachea mixture on my last
order, hoping that mix would smell a little less noxious ... no such luck.

Marilyn, Miko (Chasing lizards in Heaven), Bess, RoseyMae, and Beaver
Cleaver,
Fort Bragg, CA

"You have gone ahead and nothing is the same, leaving paw prints on my heart
that will always remain."- Tibetan Proverb from Prayers on the Wind.