[Dailydrool] Basset agility

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 25 01:18:30 PDT 2008

You made the right choice signing up for agility. I take Clara and she loves it. I signed her up because she runs really fast, can turn on a sixpence and jumps like a deer (hence the on-going problems with the strawberries).
  The first couple of weeks she was fairly indifferent - like she was saying, 'yes, I can do it, but what's my motivation?'
  Then the follwing week she just took off, literally.
  Now she runs the course faster than I can, with a big doggie grin on her face and her ears streaming behind her.
  I make tuna and garlic cake as her special incentive - and she's also very good at using "the look" to get extra treats from other handlers.
  The only advice I would offer is about leads. In the  classes you  must stay on lead. This means, for example, if your dog is to go through a hoop, you have to feed the lead through first, which kinda slows you down.
  You can buy special short agility leads, so there is something to grab if you need it, or to encourage them. However, because of the unique basset build I felt this lead was just the right leangth for her to catch her feet in and take a bad tumble.
  So, I bought a cheap (£1) cloth lead in a budget store and chopped it down, just turning a few inches over as the handle and leaving no length at all. Although I have to bend down to grab it, I feel more comfortable about her safety.
  Enjoy your classes.

Sally, slave to Rolph and Clara, step slave to Tessie, Henry and Solomon ATB