[Dailydrool] Basset Agility

Lisa Lucas flyinbufie at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 07:44:14 PDT 2008

Hi~

Good luck with the agility classes. Bassets can be quite agile. They were
originally bred to be on their feet in a field/woods all day. Much of the
terrain they would ordinarily cover would NOT be perfect, flat, meadow.

I am owned by C-ATCH Buford T. Flatfoot CGC RE NAJ NAP NJP OFP ChWC ChCL
ChST ChFH. Buford is an ABC alum turned agility basset. He has over 25
agility titles and 3 obedience titles. He is the 2nd basset hound to earn
the the CPE agility C-ATCH (agility trial championship), and I think the
second or third basset to earn AKC agility's Open FAST Preferred title. He
loves his agility. He LOVES to run. And, he most certainly can haul when he
wants to. Frequently, when people who don't know us see Buford run, we get a
lot of "WOW! That basset is fast!" On a particularly crazy day we heard
someone say "Huh, I guess he's sound" (just as he was doing donuts and
tearing through tunnels). I just started showing another one of our rescues,
Princess in CPE agility. At home she climbs my willow tree and eats
squirrels. In her first 2 shows she earned 4 titles and has moved to the
next level.

The trick with bassets is to find out what motivates them, and tricking them
in to thinking whatever they do is their idea. Smile, have some patience,
and be prepared to laugh, alot. It will be a wonderful journey.

A few key things when starting your basset in agility....

1) Make sure your basset is a good weight, if not just slighlty underweight.
Extra weight not only is unhealthy, but puts extra stress on their back and
joints. Buford's fighting weight is about 41-43 lbs, and Princess runs about
36-39 lbs. Before everyone panics, both are very small in stature & bone
structure.

2) See your vet to evaluate your basset and check his back & joints

3) Consider regular vet chiropractic visits and/or massages. While we are
actively showing, Buford gets massaged monthly and sees a doggie
chiropractor for adjustment and acupuncture every 2-4 mths.

4) Have a regular cardio (walking) routine to keep your basset fit.

A dog that is fit and healthy (of any breed) is much less likely to sustain
injury while working.

I would also recommend to join the yahoo Basset Agility list. It's a group
of great people who all have one thing in common~ agility bassets (and our
insanity :)). We have folks who do agility for fun and folks who show. There
is lots of knowledge on there, and you'll get some great advice.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me

Lisa, proud slave to:
Adrianne (who has done agility but prefers the couch)
Princess CTL1 (I love the stuff!)
C-ATCH Buford (the flying basset) CGC RE NAJ NAP NJP OFP ChWC ChCL ChST ChFH
Siggy aka "Z" (I want to learn to fly!)