[Dailydrool] Vehicle Recommendations

Pat Wood patshoundies at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 26 13:32:22 PDT 2008

After 7 years with a Honda CR-V, and hauling at least 50 dogs, in two's, threes, fours, and occasionally ones.....I purchased last year a Honda Odyssey van...it is very large, much bigger turning radius - I'm still trying to get the thing parked straight in a parking space...but, it has all the room you would need to haul you, the hounds, and pull a trailer if necessary. both sliding doors open automatically (well, we did have a day or two when one or the other wrong door was opened automatically and the hounds came tumbling out on the other side!) but those doorways are very low-I don't even have to use the ramp for my hounds anymore! and we got a tail caught just a smidgen in one of the sliding doors when it was closing, but it stopped right away, and the dogs move away from the door real quick now! I've just done my first long distance trip to PA from FL (great Slobberfest you guys!) and unbelieveably, traveling consistently at at least 80 mph on the Interstates (I know, but if I don't they all leave me behind!)..with air conditioning going full tilt, I was averaging at least 25 mph! and for that size vehicle, that's GOOD!  of course pulling a trailer will certainly slow down your mpg for sure!  I can't recommend the Odyssey highly enough, it is one great Basset Utility Vehicle (Van)! The new CR-Vs are also good, but you probably can't put all those hounds, you, tables, and pull a trailer with it "well"..... but my dogs used to love riding in the back seat (with back seat down, we often had 5 dogs in there) and they can see out - unlike the Honda Element which carries them low in the back - but it has rubberized floors for easy washing out!

Pat Wood - and the Wood House Hounds
Ethel - yeah mom - I had the whole back of the van and front seat alllllll to myself for the trip, was it ever fun! and I didn't even need the ramp or steps to hop in!