[Dailydrool] Itchy flews

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sun Jul 27 10:04:58 PDT 2008

> The trouble with Pred is that everything tends to come right back
> once it is stopped. It can also be tough on the liver, so use it
> cautiously. Don't let your Vet just keep giving it to control the
> itching.

I'm with Bev--prednisone generally shouldn't be turned into a
maintenance medication. Usually when this is the case, only the
symptoms of the problem are being treated and not the problem itself.
Any time itchiness lingers on and doesn't calm down after a few days
of prednisone, it's time to start looking for the cause of the
problem. Especially because the more a dog itches, the more it
scratches, and the more it scratches, the more it increases its
chances of developing a secondary infection caused by bacteria from
its tongue or toenails being transferred into the openings it's
creating in its skin. In my experience, veterinary dermatologists/
allergist are a good resource for diagnostic help when our regular
vet appears to have fallen into a pattern of reactively treating
recurring symptoms of itchiness.

Elizabeth