[Dailydrool] Basset and New Baby

Pollyaanaa at aol.com Pollyaanaa at aol.com
Thu Jul 31 04:38:07 PDT 2008

Hi all,
We brought home our first Basset, Barney ATB, when our girls were 2 & 3
years old.  He was just a baby himself and they, all three of them, were in  love.
 Not too long after, maybe a year, along came our son.  Barney  again fell in
love and was very protective.  Michael liked to climb all  over Barney and
Barney loved the attention.  Michael actually teethed on  Barney, biting down on
his back.  Barney made a little yip and then rolled  over.  Michael got a
mouthful of fur and never did it again.  Barney  was always gentle with the kids
and we included him in everything in the house  and yard.  He was a
handicapped dog, with crooked paws and a twisted snout,  inbreeding is my guess.  He was
at times rainbow colored, thanks to a  kool-aid incident.  He ate a few
crayons, and deposited them back out in  the yard.  Pretty poo.  :o)  He gave those
kids his all and  played until he could no longer walk.  He didn't live long.
 He was  only 9 when we had to help him off to the bridge.  Between the
arthritis,  which got really bad, and the seizures that were never under control,
he had it  rough, but know that he was loved, and loved hard back.  His picture
is on  the fridge, it is the day we sent him on his journey.  All these years
 later it is still hard to talk about him w/out getting a bit choked up.  I
always recommend a basset to anyone who has kids, it's the only way to go in
my  opinion.
Just my 2 cents.

Lori.....getting all verclemped here
Sam(antha).....get another one Mom, those cats are mean to me
Tater & Hazel....heh heh....our plan of world domination is  working....meow

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.