[Dailydrool] Consentido

Sherrilyn panama_jacques at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 10 21:18:08 PDT 2008

Consentido is the Spanish term for pampered, coddled, even spoiled, depending on one's tone.  Jacques is definitely consentido.

I'm leaving on Friday for a month's vacation, and the dog nanny is also going on vacation, so Jacques is going to a doggie camp about an hour outside of Bogota. The place is run by a vet and was highly recommended by someone who lived here several years ago.  My boss has sent his beagle, Daisy, there a couple of times when he and his wife have been out of the country.  They just returned from another trip, and when the vet delivered Daisy, she said that she had brought Daisy to the city a few times to spend the day at her office, because Daisy is "muy consentida" and didn't like country life.  My boss's wife commented that Jacques would be going to stay at the farm soon, and he was a LOT more consentido than Daisy, which the vet found hard to believe.  Judge for yourself:

Does Daisy have a full-time dog nanny like Jacques does?  No.
Does Daisy have a bed in every room in the apartment like Jacques does?  No.
Does Daisy get to sleep on the furniture like Jacques does?  No.
Does Daisy have steps in front of the furniture so she can more easily get on and off like Jacques does?  No.
Does Daisy eat uber-expensive dog food with roast chicken garnish like Jacques does?  No.
Does Daisy have a special carriage for rides to the too-far-to-walk-to park like Jacques does?  No.
Does Daisy get howliday cards from 300+  furends like Jacques does?  NO!

The only thing that Daisy has that Jacques doesn't have (and it's because they  live in the penthouse of their building and have an enormous rooftop terrace, which I don't have) is a specially constructed "yard" (a wooden frame filled with dirt and sod) so that her humans don't have to walk her early in the morning, late at night, or when it's raining.  Hmmmm....maybe that's more for the humans than the dog.

Yes, I think Jacques is consentido.