[Dailydrool] Names

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Tue Jun 24 17:07:27 PDT 2008

<<We recently adopted a basset, Rupert and didn't want
to keep his name. We struggled for a couple weeks trying out different names
but we always resorted to accidently calling him Rupert. I guess he had
already chosen his name before he came home. He now goes by Rotten Rupert
90% of the time and McLovin every once in awhile when he feels like bein a
"good boy". ;)>>

I think bassets know their names, even if we humans don't. I've thought of changing names on our former fosters who stayed, but somehow it never happened. Alexis seemed like a Grace to me--she was the most graceful hound, despite her serious arthritis. Belvedere's name, shortened to Bel, always has people thinking he's a girl. Abner, well, I just wasn't sure I liked that name for him. But all of the names stuck. Alexis wouldn't answer to Grace. Abner is just a Li'l Abner, no matter what I think. And Belvedere had been passed around so much that I just couldn't change the only thing that hadn't changed. Bel he has stayed, even though one of our vets constantly calls him "she."

All of them have had nicknames, though. When we don't feel like the real name, we have another quickly to hand.

Dogs choose their own names and often bless you with letting you know just what they are.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets