[Dailydrool] Walking bassets

Jane & Marty Hay jhay at nc.rr.com
Mon Jun 2 13:21:32 PDT 2008

BlankHi All! We've been camping for a couple of weeks and I'm trying to catch up on the many Drools in my email. I do want to chime in on walking one or many bassets since I have had recent experience in this effort (emphasis on effort!!) at the campground. I tried walking only one of the Houndettes but the shrieking that went on when I left the other two made me afraid that the rangers would come and take my girls away from us for animal cruelty! So I proceeded to put all three training collars and separate leashes on and off we went. Let me tell you, I honestly believe that these three girls have more strength in them than my daughter's mastiffs! I would have had a party if they just sauntered along like Morse does! I swear that the training collars could have made them turn blue and they still would have pulled and yanked. Plan two was putting the two younger (and lighter) hounds on a dual lead so that I'd only have to mind two leashes. I need to start eating my Wheaties or something but two on one lead is just too much for this old lady. I think my one arm is significantly longer than the other one now. So back to individual leashes we went and we started some serious training (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA). I have been known to tell my DH that if we wanted a dog that would be a robot dog, we should get a golden retriever because bassets just have too much bassetude to really train. I have to say that I'm not completely correct with that philosophy. As long as they didn't get distracted, the girls actually got to the point that they would sit and stay collectively. Well, for a couple of seconds anyway. I was totally doomed if there was a person or another dog anywhere in the vicinity. We've watched the experts on TV show how to train your dog to walk but I've noticed that they never seem to use a basset and I think I know why!!! Now ask me if I want that retriever....absolutely not!

Heart healing drool to those of you who have lost a loved one.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow & Suzy