[Dailydrool] doggie dreams and doggie jai alai

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 14:57:54 PDT 2008

I was intrigued to read of Annie's howling in her sleep.  Both of my bassets make distinctive noises when they dream (You can tell they are dreaming because of their rapid eye movements and twitchy feet).  Harley wags his tail like crazy when he dreams, thumping the walls and floor audibly--clearly these are great dreams.  Bo growls and occasionally barks (sometimes loud enough to wake himself up), which is interesting, since I have never heard Bo growl in waking life--Bo is the most submissive of bassets, and tends to be afraid of anything new.   I can only imagine that Harley envisions himself in doggie heaven; Bo envisions himself as the fiercest tiger in the jungle.

  Their basic natures are visible in other ways too.  A few years ago, both had to wear plastic cone collars at the same time for assorted maladies.  Bo had a hotspot (this was before I made basset britches); Harley was recovering from having been attacked by a big dog at the local dogpark (who objected to Harley's energy).  In the collars, Bo, ever dour and pessimistic about life, refused to move at all. Harley, ever exuberant and optimistic about life, invented a version of doggie jai alai and amused himself for hours.  Harley would charge a ball, scoop it up in the E-collar, toss it into the sky with a single upward thrust, and then try to catch the ball in his mouth.  Then he would drop it, let it roll, and go after it again.  Who says temperament isn't born in the being?