[Dailydrool] Is Oliver Aggressive?

Kathy Kontrim kkontrim at pickeringinc.com
Thu Jun 5 06:23:37 PDT 2008

Whenever anyone comes to the door, or is out in the yard, or is on the street or even across that street in view of the door, Oliver barks.  And barks.  Last night my neighbor came over to talk to me.  He rang the doorbell.  Oliver, of course, went ballistic barking.  When I opened the storm door to go out and talk to him, Oliver squeezed out the door onto the carport and then jumped and nipped at my neighbor, NOT in a playful way.  I was in shock.  I had to grab him by the collar and herd him inside.  He has never done this before.  Oliver is very well socialized and has never been aggressive.  He goes off-leash at the dog park and takes pets and belly-rubs from strangers all the time.  Over the weekend Oliver had a birthday party with a dozen dogs and people in his back yard.  No aggression there.  Should I be worried that Oliver is becoming aggressive?  Was he just protecting me?  Most of the time when folks come to the door, I speak to them through the storm door, with Oliver barking behind me.  So, to his credit, usually the door is kept closed.  After the incident, he was back to his couch-potato ways.  Maybe I should be glad he has that protective nature in him.  By the way, luckily, my neighbor has 4 dogs and was understanding of the whole incident.  I also wondered if Oliver associated him with his dogs.  Maybe they don't get along.  I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Kathy and Oliver A. Higgins
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/380337