[Dailydrool] doggy smells

Menzie Campbell menziecampbell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 12:36:34 PDT 2008

Hi, Jan.  We've done several things over the years, to help with the
sometimes-distinct basset odor in our house.

First of all, we have all hard floors (no carpet) and all leather
furniture.  Carpets and upholstery hold smells like you cannot believe, in a
way that often can't really be eradicated.  If you have upholstered
furniture, I would spray it pretty regularly with Febreze, that seems to
help some.  With the carpets, rent a carpet cleaner ($20 at walmart) and use
Febreze in the solution.  White vinegar also works well as a deodorizer for
the carpet cleaner or the furniture- I use it in the "dog laundry" all the
time.  And,when you are ready ot remodel, go to leather furniture and
wood-laminate floors!  :)

We also have drapes and curtains that are washable.  It took a little
searching to find these, but usually if they are all-cotton or polyester,
they are machine washable on cold, dry low.  Use vinegar in that wash, too.
I wash my curtains about once a quarter.

I also have those plug-in air fresheners in the main rooms.  I use the
Renuzit ones usually, and use the "Clean" scents, like Rainshower or Cotton
or Linen. They seem to do a better job of dissipating hound odor.

Also, once a week or so, (if you don't already), open all the windows for a
few hours and turn on all the fans - air the place out a bit.  :)

And i am proud to say that even our non-dog-owning friends (and my own
mother!) admit that our house doesn't smell much like dogs.

"I've noticed the distinct smell of "doggy odor" in our house.  What do some
of you use to have fresher smelling houses?
 Thank you!!

Jan, John, Jace & Sterling
Spirit Lake, IA"

--