[Dailydrool] deer fly & basset smorgasbord

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 16:27:01 PDT 2008

I don't get it... I know I saw last year that Joey seems to be a basset
smorgasbord for those little flying bugs that always seem to be around, but
dad said that today he was attacked by deer flies! Like no kidding, attacked
by deer flies. Dad put him out back for a bit (he gets home earliest), and
said a few minutes later after the other boy were out he heard Joey making
some really weird noises, and yelping, and he'd tangled hi tie out around a
tree, and was flailing, jumping and napping at the flies! Dad chased them
off, and doused him and the rest of the boys with copious amounts of
diatomacious earth. Apparently DE is also good for deer flies! A few buzzed
him, but none bit him since he was doused. (And I mean covered! He now looks
all white!) I know last summer some kind drooler sent me a link to somewhere
that made dog soap with Cedar in it, but my computer ate it. Anyone got any
sure proof bug repellants? The diatomacious earth does help a lot, but every
time we pet the dogs, white powder goes flying everywhere, so not good for
company or travel... But, on the other hand, we can now attest to the fact
that diatomacious earth is good deer fly repelant...
-Karrie, momma to Joey, the now all white houndie