[Dailydrool] diatomaceous earth CAUTION

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Wed Jun 11 06:37:51 PDT 2008

While I am definitely no expert on diatomaceous earth, let me tell you
that I would never put it on my dogs.  Here is why...
Diatomaceous earth is made of the bodies of minute plant who's structure
is made of glass-like crystal of Silica (sand).  They are very
beautiful, if you ever get a chance to see photos of them.  Anyway, it
is ground up into tiny shards.  The reason it is used in pest control
applications, is because when an insect walks through it, the tiny glass
shards absorb the moisture from their bodies drying them out, and may be
worked into the insect's joints so that it literally cuts itself to
pieces.  It also ingests it when it cleans itself.  This is a person
with over 20 years of professional pest control experience talking here.

Now let's think about the lung cancer mesothelioma, think about coal
miners with black lung, think about silicosis.  These deadly diseases
are caused by breathing in tiny almost microscopic fibers or other kinds
of dust that lodge in the lungs and can't be coughed out.  Tiny shards
of glass, that your body can't get rid of, are now being breathed in by
your dogs, your kids, your guests, and yourself.  This can't be good!
Get the dogs into the bathtub immediately!  Wash them a lot.  Make tons
of suds to lift this stuff off the skin.  Don't ever put it on the dog
again!  YIKES!

An excerpt from Wikipedia lists:

The absorbent qualities of diatomite can result in a significant drying
of the hands, if handled without gloves. The saltwater (industrial) form
contains a
highly crystalline form of silica, resulting in sharp edges. The
sharpness of this version of the material makes it dangerous to breathe
and a dust <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust>  mask is recommended when
working with it.

The type of hazard posed by inhalation depends on the form of the
silica. Crystalline silica poses a serious inhalation hazard because it
can cause silicosis <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicosis> . Amorphous
silica can cause dusty lungs, but does not carry the same degree of risk
as crystalline silica. Food-grade diatomite generally contains very low
percentages of crystalline silica. Diatomite produced for pool filters
is treated with heat, causing the formerly amorphous silicon dioxide to
assume its crystalline form.

In the United States <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States> , the
crystalline silica content in the dusts is regulated by the Occupational
Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and there are guidelines for
the maximum amounts allowable in the product and in the air near the
breathing zone of workers.[3]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth#cite_note-2>

Gaylene Opal-Deitering

My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a
reflection of it!