[Dailydrool] alternative pest control

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Wed Jun 11 06:43:51 PDT 2008

I was talking to some friends who both use the following mosquito
solution to make their yards mosquito free so they and their dogs can
enjoy the outdoors without being tormented.  I haven't tried it yet, but
both of them swear by it!  Take a hose attachment, like a "miracle grow"
bottle that attaches to the end of your hose.  Fill it with Dawn
original dish soap.  Spray the yard.

 One person mixes it 50/50 with ammonia, and the other does not.  Both
say they have good results.  I think it works because it breaks the
water tension on the water in the soil where the insects breed.  It
makes it unsuitable for the larva.  I would, of course, USE WITH
RESTRAINT, because I don't want to kill everything in the soil, but I do
want to reduce the mosquitoes that make my life miserable.  Wonder what
it will do for TICKS?

Gaylene Opal-Deitering

My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a
reflection of it!