[Dailydrool] maplestreet bassets

Dan Hickey dhickey at m-audio.com
Wed Jun 11 21:40:39 PDT 2008

Cathy wrote
I know some won't agree with me but I didn't think they sounded too bad.
I don't like that she recommends vaccinating every year.  Her dogs look
good and look like bassets.  She only has 2 breeding females.  She sells
on limited registration.  She chips her puppies before they leave.

I get a little irritated at labels and the "I'm better then you"
attitude.  So while some might call her a back yard breeder, she just
seems to be someone with a small hobby breeding program who enjoys her
dogs.

Cathy

For the most part, I agree. You could do worse, much worse. But her
hobby breeding program is most certainly a "hobby breeding business." No
matter what other goals she has, money is definitely right in there.

She's two or more steps away from show quality dogs. She is using as
foundation stock, descendants of those in a litter which would be a show
breeder's pet quality (non-breeding) puppies. She lets the pups go just
a little too soon. Even for pets another 2 to 4 weeks makes an important
difference.

I'm wondering why someone would buy from her. For the same money you
could get that pet quality dog from a local show breeder and have both
parents (and eventually some littermates) be Champions and the breeder
would be a proven lifetime resource.

At her current rate, in 15 to 20 years this girl (and her dogs) will be
awesome. I'm not sure I'd be ready to contribute to her vet school fund
just yet.

Dan Hickey