[Dailydrool] Wyatt has tumor Drool please!

stevebarlow4 at verizon.net stevebarlow4 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 13 09:12:23 PDT 2008

OK.. if you read my previous messages about Wyatt's limp.
X-Rays show it's an agressive tumor. Right now it's in his hind tibia/fibia.  Even in early stages, the only option would me chemo and amputation... but that's not what I call quality of life. I'm not going to keep Wyatt alive in pain on my selfishness.

We're going to pump him with pregnesone and pain killers to make his quality of life as good as possible.   The saddest part is that since the tumor is in the hind legs, it's going to incapacitate him well before he normally would go.  I ask for advice and support and a lot of healing drool and prayers.

Wyatt is my rock.. he has helped me through the most difficult times in my life, offering love, and a connection I've never really felt with any living being.  We have something special, and losing him.. Well, I still have his sister... she'll have to help me. I'm going to miss him so much.. But right now, I'm going to have to enjoy his company.. and love on him as much as I can.

I suppose I could get a second opinion, but in all honesty, he was so bad yesterday morning, I thought I might have to make that tough decisiont then, but in the afternoon, he greeted me at the door and came for food.  This morning, when I pulled out the leash, I saw the excitment that he has always had.  The vet said 4-6 weeks... and with meds, maybe he does have that long, but I know his pain.. he couldn't even crawl in his dads lap in the car.

I will pump him full of drugs and take him on that last long walk off leash through the woods.  Daddy's baby boy won't be with him much longer.. and i know that you guys know the tears that are welling my eyes as I write this. I've never had to put a dog down, and I'm going to have to make this decision.  When the time comes, I can only hope that I have the strength to spend it with him.. holding him and giving him loving.. as much as I can.

Can someone please help to tell me when to make this call? I've been told that I'l just 'know'.

He'll leave his big sister(of 4 months, same dad) with me.. but it's going to be so empty in the house with just one dog... but I guess I can't think about that right now, I need to think about the fun we'll have in his final weeks/months.. if he has that long. The vet said it will be very agressive...

Steve, Clover and Wyatt...
And family.