[Dailydrool] crates...? (and some drool)

Sylvie McGee sylviemcgee at comcast.net
Sun Jun 15 06:13:37 PDT 2008

Hi, Kacy,

I would not use a soft-crate with a dog that is not already both
crate-trained and mature if you are going to be unable to supervise. They do
hold up, but they are not fool proof for a determined
chewer/digger/scratcher.

I personally prefer wire crates, and that's what I keep set up for my girls
- I have three set up normally, so that they can go in and out at will, and
they love them. Often are found resting in the crates even when the crates
are open, because they are their "safe spots". I also feed them in their
crates, so that no one bothers them while they are eating, and they can
relax for the meal time.

I like the wire crates both because they allow the dog to still see out very
clearly and be "part of the action" even if they are confined (for example,
if they are ill, or if I'm working with power tools and don't want them at
risk), and also in terms of looks in the house. Now granted, a crate is
generally *not* a decorator touch in your home, but I find that the black
wire crates tend to "fade into the background" a bit more than
travel/plastic crates. I also prefer a crate with double doors - one at the
end and one on the side. This allows you to arrange the crate in the way
that best fits your room, and to be able to rearrange if you redecorate. If
you have an injured dog, the side door also makes it easier to get them in
and out.

Don't buy any crate retail - you can do much better online. I usually get
mine through catalogs - comparison shop JB Wholesale, or www.petedge.com
<http://www.petedge.com/> , or www.kvvet.com <http://www.kvvet.com/>  is
where I usually find the best crate prices - my favorite is the MidWest
Crate Double-Door LIfeStages crate.

So that's my vote.

Sylvie McGee
HeavenScent Bassets