[Dailydrool] Crates

Monique Tecson moenizzle at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 15 14:26:06 PDT 2008

Hi Kacy!

We've used 2 kinds of crates. The Vari Kennel crate (or travelling crates... looks like a doggy suitcase made out of plastic) and the wire crates (which looks more like a cage)

I personally like the wire crate for home use. Since we live in an apartment, the flat top doubles as a side table.. LOL! We have it set up beside the couch Also, it's black... so it doesn't "stick out" as much as a plastic box (which is what the vari kennel is basically). It offers better air circulation and visibility... I don't think they feel too isolated since they can see what's going on around them, at the same time my dogs know that it's their "private space". When I leave for work, they get a fan pointed towards the crate so I don't worry about them being too hot while I'm gone. It's so easy to clean! The plastic bottom slides out, so you can either wash it or wipe it down with a paper towel. For a wire crate, it's pretty sturdy. Some even come with two gates (one in front and one one the side) And lastly (which I think would save people money... let's face it. crates aren't cheap!) wire crates come with dividers... so you can
 make your crate smaller. No need to buy different sizes.

The Vari Kennel worked great for us when we were potty training Potato. We figured, the more enclosed he is... the sooner he'll learn to hold it in.. and sure enough.. he was potty trained in a few weeks. (Well, he is half a basset.. so that could account for that too.. LOL) Also, it's great for travelling. It fits perfectly in the trunk of  your van. And the gate fastens pretty tight!

Monique, momma to Mona and Potato the tater tot