[Dailydrool] Mazzie had a seizure

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 17:14:12 PDT 2008

Hi everyone, not sure if everyone remembers, but Mazzie had a seizure last
June (I think the 24th) and this was her first one that we know of. She will
be 5 in August and we adopted her from the humane society when she was 2 so
she has been with us what will be 3 years in September. Anyhow, we were out
of town so we called our vet and he walked us through it and we came back 2
days later and had bloodwork done and all was fine. He ruled her as having
epilepsy and didn't put her on meds because she didnt' seize again to the
best of our knowledge.  When Mazzie has a seizure she does not shake; she
gets very stiff, jaws clenched and non-blinking eyes with shallow breathing.

Anyhow, fast forward ten days short of one year and we are again out of town
at my mother's.  I walked into my brother's room to find Mazzie laying stiff
on her pillow. I about freaked because she was non-responsive and I thought
she was dead because of her breathing having decreased so much that I didnt'
think she was breathing. I went to get my mother and she sent my step father
in and we both examined her.  Clenched teeth by then, shallow breathing, but
not as stiff.  Then she could move her eyes around after that. Then, she
sneezed loudly and lifted her head. She slowly got up and was a little
wobbly but fine otherwise. She was tired after, just like last year's
seizure.

Here is my question(s)----why one year later, in June and at my mom's? Last
years were outside and this year inside.  Both times have another thing in
common which is that she was playing with one of the chocolate labs right
before hand.  We have been to my mother's plenty of times that Mazzie has
been playing with the labs and no issues.  Is this just coincidental or is
there something in the month of June at my mom's house?  Has anyone else
experienced their basset or canine having seizures only within the same
month in the same surroundings?

Maggie goes back on Saturday to get her mystery lump checked out. It looks
much better and has one day of antibiotics left.  Oliver goes in on Tuesday
to have his deciduous canine teeth pulled, but one came out on its own so
now he just needs to have one taken out and to clean the two canine adult
teeth as food was stuck between them so much while there was 4 canine teeth
total on top.

Hope everyone is well. It seems that we have had our minor share of health
issues here, but it could always be worse then we have it so I am at least
grateful for that.  At least the 2 legger kids are healthy and the Dad slave
is still safe on his deployment and my fibromyalgia hasn't been too bad this
week.  So it is not all bad things here.

DRool to all in need,
Dee, Maggie, Mazzie and Oliver