[Dailydrool] Crates

Saraberry at aol.com Saraberry at aol.com
Sun Jun 15 21:31:50 PDT 2008

If the idea of crating your dog seems unappealing, think about emergency
situations and how nice it would be if your dog had a crate he/she liked so that
if they HAD to go into one, they would be ok. Also, most of the time you
leave a  dog at a vet or groomer, they go into a crate or a space the size of a
crate.

You don't have to use a crate every day, but it is nice to use treats and
chewers to get a dog to like their crate.  I always start with the door
completely off, and if a dog is afraid, I take off the top/door and/or tape  the door
back and then slowly add both for short periods when they are  comfortable.
Then you gradually extend that time.

If the dog ever cries, whines or other problem behaviors in a crate, I do
suggest that you then wait them out until they stop for at least the count of
three. Better to have the door open than to hit this point, but if you do, and
you let them out "mid-fit" you teach them to throw a fit to get out, so I
also  recommend crate practice during the day until you have a nice calm dog
before  you send them in at night.  When you get to night readiness, then be ready
 to turn out lights, TV, etc., and the dog should go to sleep when you do in
a  darkened room.

I also recommend that the crate be in a common room or bedroom, unless  there
is a strong need for the crate to be elsewhere, but to put the crate where
you won't hear crying will frequently make any anxiety worse.

Sara