[Dailydrool] Questions for Droolers!

Courtney Willard courtney_willard at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 17 07:37:21 PDT 2008

Hello Droolers!

After moving to a new home (no internet for days - aaack!) and traveling for 2 weekends in a row, I have finally caught up on my Daily Drools.  I hope that all of those in the Midwest are safe from flooding and that those living near wildfires are safe!  If we could just figure out a way to get that rain from the Midwest to target forest fire areas . . . For all of those who have lost a basset or are struggling with a sick basset, my thoughts are with you.  I think of you all every time I hug my girls.

I did want to ask a few questions for you Droolers out there.

1.  Our girls' pee is ruining the lawn.  Wherever they pee, the grass in the center dies and turns brown while the grass around it turns a few shades darker green than the rest of our lawn.  Needless to say my husband is quite distraught, while me . . . not so much.  Does anyone know of anyway to fix this, other than having the girls not pee in our yard?

2.  I have recently moved to Batavia, NY (halfway between Rochester and Buffalo) and we need to find a good local vet.  Ours is just too far away now, and I worry about things like bloat constantly because we don't have a nearby vet.  We expect to be moving closer to Buffalo in the next few years, so a vet located in that direction would be great.  Any recommendations?

3.  Do any other bassets with colitis out there have anal gland issues?  We've been doing the "butt squeeze" on poor Franny when she seems to need it, but is this the best thing?  When did people resort to surgery to have the anal glands removed and is this something that can even be done with a dog with colitis?

And a quick story - our neighborhood has a family of 3 rabbits that run amock.  This past Saturday they decided to sit out on our front lawn in plain view of my dogs and eat the grass and wrestle.  I'm sure that my new neighbors think I have some rabid, crazed dogs.  They desperately tried to get out the front door - thank goodness they haven't figured out how to work the handle yet, I'm sure it's only a matter of time.  I'm pretty sure that those bunnies staked out my house and decided to torment my dogs in broad daylight.  Damn them!  Sorry for the long post, but it's been a while!  Thanks in advance for all of your help to my questions!

Courtney Bishop
Momslave to Gilbert, Maggie and Franny