[Dailydrool] dog and coyote attacks

Mary Mischelle Kemp mmischellekemp at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 19 15:02:47 PDT 2008

On the topic of dog attacks and the drooler that has to worry about coyotes.... I carry a stun gun when I walk Pw. Tasselhoff and Fizban. We walk everyday, regardless of the weather, as a result we've had several run-ins with aggressive dogs and wild life. After a couple of bad experiences I started to carry a stun gun. It works very well for us for several reasons.
Like a Dazer, it can stop an attack before it occurs. If you turn it on, it makes a loud crackling noise that will scare away most animals. I've used this method countless times when being approached by an aggressive dog. I just press the button and the loud crackling noise scares them right off. LOL my neighbor asked me about it and when I showed her she jumped two feet in the air (from the noise) and she knew I was going to do it. If the animal decides to attack despite the noise, shocking it will incapacitate it for up to 10 minutes and won't cause any permit damage to the animal. This gives me time to safely get my dogs away from the area. It also allows me to protect my boys with out causing permenant injury to another animal. Also the pain tolerance level of the animal is not a factor, the attacking animal doesn't decide to leave because you are beating it with a stick, it has no choice.
I use a small stun gun that has a holster. I also use flexi leads and on one of them I have a holder that looks like saddlebags that carry pick up bags and other stuff. The holster slips onto the saddle bag belt perfectly so I always have it with me. As an added bonus it is also a flashlight so on the rare occasion that people notice I have it they think it is a flash light. If you consider a stun gun you should realize that they aren't legal in about 5 states so you should make sure they are legal where you live. If anyone is interested email me off line and I can send a link for my stun gun (can't get it here at work), I believe it cost about $50.00.

Mary, Pw. Tasselhoff and Fizban