[Dailydrool] Lightening Bugs, Daddy Long Legs and Dragonflies

decadog at comcast.net decadog at comcast.net
Fri Jun 20 06:34:33 PDT 2008

Schroeder's Adventures with Nature made me smile. It reminded me of my basset, Peanut, and his love of dragonflies--even though I don't know that he's actually ever seen the dragonfly itself! Living in Vegas the sun was very bright (duh!) and was great for seeing shadows on the rocky ground. We had huge dragonflies at certain times of the years. They would hover over and make equally big shadows. Peanut would chase the shadow endlessly. I'm certain the dragonfly was just as fascinated with Peanut's motion, as it would hover and zip around him for what seemed like forever. There were times when I'd have to stop the fun and insist that Peanut came in. It was hot and his tongue would be lolling out to his knees. He'd pounce on that dragonfly over and over. Til this day all I have to do is say "where's the dragonfly?!" and he'll start looking all over the ground. Now that we live in Tennessee and he's an older boy I thought maybe his fun days were over. But while we wait for dragonfly
season we had the carpenter bee season. The horny males hovered, en masse, over the deck (while the female bees bored nest holes in our wood deck!) and made shadows for Peanut to chase. It was great to see our 10 y.o. boy still had it in him! And now living in Tennessee we too have the beautiful lightening bugs and creepy daddy long legs for doggie entertainment.
Bassetly yours, Darlene

<<As I put my flip flops on to go out to see what he was getting into, I bent
down, and saw the daddy long leg scurrying across the deck.
The look on his face was so cute - so innocent and inquisitive. >>