[Dailydrool] Petco issue

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Fri Jun 20 07:57:45 PDT 2008

Please folks..

one of the early posts was incorrect.. it said "16 plants across the
country"

its ONE warehouse in Il.  That ONE warehouse distributes products to petco
stores in 16 states.

And even on semantics .. the post I'm referring to said "plants that carry
food" ... it's a warehouse, not a plant .. a plant is considered a point of
manufacture .. not a place of storage, a distribution center doesn't
manufacture anything ... they just split up larger shipments to smaller
ones.  Usually the product is labeled "for individual resale", *not* bulk
bagged packages that have to be repackaged.

I panicked a little myself when I read the one post before another.. and
before looking it up on the FDA site myself.. I don't need the panic, no one
does.

And to the drooler going to a warehouse in Texas.. I would approach it as..
"wow, did you hear what happened in Illinois, to a petco distribution center
there?"

That usually breaks the ice a little .. you can then read their faces and
body language.. if they react ashamed... then most likely they are ashamed
their company's name is effected because they know its true that plant was
run badly..

or however else.. if they react cold, it could mean they have their own
problems, or that they believe the FDA is railroading their sister
distro-center ... and thus they are in denial.. etc.. so a lot can be
learned from a response to a "wow did ya hear" line of questioning.

FDA Link:
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01854.html

confirms *ONE* distribution center which serves petco's in 16 states

-Robert