[Dailydrool] The Arkansas 11

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 09:58:48 PDT 2008

Yes, it is True, as Bonnie Rusaw has stated.  Bonnie will be getting one of
11 basset hounds that are arriving in NY on Saturday.  ABC was contacted by
Ozark to help save 11 puppy mill dogs.  The puppy mill guy stated that he
would shoot the oldest ones and sell the youngest ones if Ozark couldn't
move them in one week!  Some people amaze me.  Anyhow, as the foster
coordinator, my assistant and I have been spending countless hours setting
up foster homes, getting contact information ready, helping with transport,
etc.  All 11 bassets will be fostered between the Buffalo and Syracuse
area.  (We figured Ellen Cole wouldn't be allowed to transport as she failed
on this before and kept a basset) Just picking on Gracie Lou's Mom, that's
all.  We figured it would be easier to make 2 big stops with the bassets.
Our chairman and transport coordinator are leaving on Thursday and driving
to Illinois to meet the bassets from Arkansas.  6 of these dogs will be
delivered to foster homes before I get to help out. I will be picking up 5
basset hounds in Rochester and transporting them to Syracuse to meet their
foster homes. I will be keeping the 2 year old at my house overnight until a
foster home is available on Sunday.  ABC's coordinators, board members,
volunteers, etc. have all been helping out and stepping up to get these 11
bassets into forever homes.  Two of the bassets have cherry eye and one has
glaucoma and may lose her eye. The one who may lose her eye is just 4 months
old.  Many of them have ear infections.  The good news is that none of them
are heartworm positive. All will need to be spayed or neutered and caught up
to date on vaccinations, as well as learning what it is like to live inside
of a home instead of outside.  They will probably have to learn to trust
people, if what we have seen in the past is also true for this bunch.  To
keep track of their journey and meet the "Arkansas 11" go to
www.nybasset.org and more information will be coming soon on them.  If
anyone would like to donate to their care, that can also be done on the
webpage.

Thanks everyone and DRool on,
Delinda LaRock
Foster Coordinator