[Dailydrool] Responses on Nail Clipping

Mary Lee Trnka mltrnka at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 28 11:01:21 PDT 2008

Thanks for all your responses!  I was pretty sure Philby wasn't the only hound (or even dog, for that matter) who does not like his nails clipped.  Even our older hound, Tucker, doesn't like it, but doesn't nip.

A lot of folks talked about sensitive feet, so I thought I'd test him out.  Last night, I was waking him up to go to bed (from the sofa to his bed) and I played with all his feet: stuck my fingers between his toes, squeezed his feet a little - nothing!  He wanted to go one last time.  Since it was raining, when he came in I wiped him off, including his feet, massaging the towel between his toes - nothing!

I'm going to keep playing with his feet on a regular basis.  We're also going to purchase a dremel, and start desensitizing him to the noise.  (It's a toy my husband always wanted anyway. . .)  Thanks, Dan, for the link that gave all the info trimming nails with a dremel.

A lot of folks suggested having the vet trim his nails - I have a mobile vet, and it would cost me quite a lot to have him come just for that.

And thanks again for all the words of encouragement.  Phlby is such a sweet dog; I'm not going to get crazy about this.

Mary Lee